Sophomore Macy Wingard competes at 6A State Cross Country Meet
Courtesy of Denton ISD Athletics

First-ever state champion

Sophomore Macy Wingard places first at 2023 UIL 6A Cross Country State Meet, Junior Aleksandr Acuna places sixth

Sophomore Macy Wingard, and junior Aleksandr Acuna, not only secured a coveted spot at the UIL 6A State Cross Country meet for the second year in a row, but left a lasting mark on school history by finishing in first and sixth place, respectively, turning their dreams into reality, and securing Braswell its first-ever state championship.

Returning to the state meet for the second consecutive year after qualifying at regionals in 2023 and 2022, Wingard and Acuna exemplify the dedication and tenacity required to excel in the challenging sport of high school cross country. However, their journeys are not just personal triumphs; they are woven into the fabric of their families and fueled by a profound love for running. For Wingard, running is more than a sport; it’s a family legacy.

Pullquote Photo

Winning state was a dream come true because I have been dreaming of this day for a long time, and it finally happened.

— Macy Wingard, 10

“I have a lot of family history in running because we’re just a whole running family,” Wingard said. “My older sibling and my mom have inspired me a lot to be the best I can be.”

The sport is not just a pursuit of excellence but a way to compete against her brother. Wyatt Wingard, who graduated from nearby Frisco Reedy in 2020, was a standout runner during his time there. Wyatt won the Class 5A District 9 cross country championship as a senior before placing third at regionals and twelfth in the state.

“My family always motivates me a lot; they are always there for me,” Wingard said. “I always try to do what they want me to do.”

Similarly, Aleksandr Acuna carries the torch of his father, Julian Acuna, who leads the Braswell cross country team along with Coach Gary Brown. “My dad, Coach Acuna, ran in high school, got first in his state race, and has really inspired me to be a runner,” Aleksandr said. “Not to be like him but to be better than him.”

Junior Aleksandr Acuna accepts his sixth place medal after the state meet

And even though Aleksandr uses his father as an inspiration to run better than him, he attributes much of his success to both his father Coach Julian Acuna, and Coach Gary Brown.

“My coaches have helped a lot,” Aleksandr said. “They have given me the training that I need to get me to where I am.”

The grind of a cross-country season is intense, involving early morning runs and additional training after school. Wingard’s commitment to her craft extends to extra sessions with friends, even during the off-season. The victory, however, is not hers alone; it belongs to her teammates who have been steadfast companions throughout this remarkable journey.

“I have practice every day in the morning with the team,” Wingard said. “After school, I do some extra training. I have a couple people that like to train with me even though they are in off-season. It has been really nice because
they are always just supporting me and cheering me on.”

Sophomore Macy Wingard stands on the podium and accepts her first place medal next to the second and third place winners at the state meet.

As Wingard stands on the podium, adorned with her medal that symbolizes her hard-fought victory, she represents more than just her individual achievement. She stands as testament to the unwavering support of family, coaches, and friends, and as beacons of inspiration for aspiring Bengal runners who dare to dream beyond the finish line.

“Winning state was a dream come true because I have been dreaming of this day for a long time, and it finally happened,” Wingard said.