Positivity leads to opportunity

Diego Gonzalez, Staff Writer

High school senior, Daisy Nguyen, won the title of Homecoming Queen after a long anticipation for the results. Nguyen was very hesitant about running and actually got the idea from her friends. She decided she should at least give it a chance.

“To be frank I was not confident at all,” Nguyen said. “I ran for fun since it was my senior year and thought I would do something out of my ordinary.”

Nguyen was surprised to even make it through the first round as a nominee. She became more nervous as announcement day approached. Finally, during her first period class, she heard the announcement; she won.

“The whole experience was hard to sink in because it all happened so fast and unexpectedly,” Nguyen said. She had felt overwhelmingly positive and, of course, so did everyone close to her.

“My mom was probably the most excited,” Nguyen said. “It was all over her Facebook and she called everyone she knew here, as well as family and friends in Vietnam, too.”

Nguyen had a lot of people believing in her, one being her close friend for the last seven years, Fariha Ahmed. Ahmed continued to encourage Nguyen throughout her entire campaign.

“When homecoming queen comes to mind, I think about someone who is charismatic, has lots of school spirit and has a goal to set a foundation for the school,” Ahmed said. “That’s exactly who Daisy is.”

Needless to say, the entire process was an adventure that Nguyen will never forget going forward. After high school, she will go on to study biochemistry and work as a physician’s assistant. However, she will miss the exciting experiences she had while at Braswell.

“I’ll definitely miss the memories. My favorite part would have to be being able to establish culture and legacy in such a young school,” Nguyen said. “Being captain of the cheer program has also taught me so much and I am so grateful to have been a part of it.”

Leading her cheer team, looking after her siblings, and remaining her authentic self to everyone around her has made her the leader she is today. Nguyen also has very high hopes for the young ladies in high school working to be their best selves today.

“The biggest advice that I stand by is to be yourself,” Nguyen said.

“You will be there for you until the end of time and no one else. Get out of your comfort zone because that is the only way you will grow into the best version of yourself. Lastly, have fun. High school is not meant to stress you out. Come in with a positive attitude and I promise positive opportunities will come your way. Good luck to all my ladies out there.”