The Bengal Beat News, BHS Now Broadcast, & Bengalcast Podcast

Braswell Media

Breaking News

Braswell Media

Braswell Media

Fourteen Braswell fine arts seniors take next step

Collectively the students earned a total of $898 thousand in scholarships

Orchestra

Cadence McLean, prepares to declare her college choice at the Fine Arts Signing Day // Courtesy of the Ambush Yearbook

Cadence McLean, 12, will be attending Texas Woman’s University starting in the fall. McLean started orchestra at Rodriguez Middle School as a violinist and transitioned into the Braswell Orchestra in the ninth grade. McLean was also a member of the Mariachi Los Bengales and explored instruments such piano and accordion. McLean plans to pursue a degree in music education and will continue to further her education with Mr. Michael Burris, current Braswell Orchestra director, who is transitioning to become a professor with TWU starting the fall.

B-Well Band

Makenna Justin, prepares to declare her college choice at the Fine Arts Signing Day // Courtesy of the Ambush Yearbook

Makenna Justin, 12, is currently a horn player in the Braswell Wind Symphony. Justin serves on the band leadership team as well as the Media Coordinator. Justin will attend Texas Tech University starting in the fall. She will be a member of the “Goin’ Band” and will study secondary education.

Koulou Chris Amouye, prepares to declare his college choice at the Fine Arts Signing Day // Courtesy of the Ambush Yearbook

Koulou Chris Amouye, 12, is currently a trombonist in the Braswell Wind Symphony and a drummer in the Legacy One Jazz Orchestra. Amouye serves as the Baritone section leader on the B-Well Leadership Team. Amouye will attend Texas Tech University in the fall and will major in computer science.

Caleb Christensen, prepares to declare his college choice at the Fine Arts Signing Day // Courtesy of the Ambush Yearbook

Caleb Christensen, 12, is currently a trombonist in the Braswell Wind Symphony and Legacy One Jazz Orchestra. Christensen will attend Texas A&M University in the fall and will study biology.

Joseph Brookes, prepares to declare his college choice at the Fine Arts Signing Day // Courtesy of the Ambush Yearbook

Joseph Brookes, 12, plays euphonium in the Braswell Wind Symphony and trombone in the Legacy One Jazz Orchestra. Brooks will attend the University of North Texas in the fall where he will study music education.

Evans Fife, prepares to declare his college choice at the Fine Arts Signing Day // Courtesy of the Ambush Yearbook

Evan Fife, 12, is an oboist in the Braswell Wind Symphony. He also plays the French Horn in the Symphonic Band, lead trumpet in the Legacy Two Jazz Orchestra, and trombone in the Legacy Three Jazz Orchestra. Fife will attend Vandercook College of Music in the fall as a Music Education Major. Fife received the VanderScholar Award worth $125 thousand dollars and his professor from Vandercook College flew from Chicago to be at the Braswell Fine Arts Signing Day.

Theatre (Braswell Bravo Company) Seniors

Hannah Blake, prepares to declare her college choice at the Fine Arts Signing Day // Courtesy of the Ambush Yearbook

Hannah Blake, 12, is a four-year member of the Braswell Bravo Company and four-year member of the Braswell Choir. She has been active in both programs and served in leadership roles for both programs. Blake was Braswell’s first-ever Betty Lynn Buckley Award Nominee for her role as Little Red in the 2023 musical, “Into the Woods”. Blake was also recognized as an All Star Cast Award Winner at the UIL Zone and District competitions. Blake will attend Florida Southern University in the fall where she will major in Musical Theatre with over $120 thousand in scholarships.

Olivia Cardon, prepares to declare her college choice at the Fine Arts Signing Day // Courtesy of the Ambush Yearbook

Olivia Cardon, 12, is a current member of the Braswell Bravo Company. Cardon moved to Braswell High School last fall and immediately immersed herself in Braswell fine arts programs. Cardon is an active member of the Braswell Choir, Braswell Wind Symphony, and Theatre programs. Cardon starred in this year’s fine arts musical, “Mamma Mia!” as the leading role of Donna Sheridan. Cardon has also been named as a member of the All-Region Choir. Cardon will attend Brigham Young University in the fall majoring in Musical Theatre with $290 thousand in scholarship offers.

McKenzie Christian, prepares to declare her college choice at the Fine Arts Signing Day // Courtesy of the Ambush Yearbook

McKenzie Christian, 12, is a four-year member of the Braswell Bravo Company. Christian has served on the board as President of the International Thespian Society troupe 8413 and currently serves as Upper Vice President. She is also a part of the 2024 UIL State Theatrical Design team – a first in Braswell and Denton ISD history. Christian is also a recipient of the UIL All Star Cast in 2022 for her role in “Abigail 1702”. Christian will attend Roosevelt University in Chicago starting the fall and will major in Acting with over $115 thousand in scholarships.

Art Department

Raegan Bergara, prepares to declare his college choice at the Fine Arts Signing Day // Courtesy of the Ambush Yearbook

Raegan Bergara, 12, has been in Art all four years at Braswell. Every year for the Regional UIL VASE art events Bergara always scored a perfect score of 4. Bergara has been a key member of NHS at Braswell. Bergara will attend the University of North Texas in the Fall to major in BFA Studio Art with $6 thousand in scholarships.

Maria Fortun, prepares to declare her college choice at the Fine Arts Signing Day // Courtesy of the Ambush Yearbook

Maria Fortun – Kansas City Art Institute – BFA Animation Art. Maria is an artist that is multilayered. She can go from realism to animation at the drop of a hat. Every year for the Regional UIL VASE art events he always scored a perfect score of 4! She also takes her studies very seriously and gives everything her all! Maria will be attending the Kansas City Art Institute in the Fall to major in BFA in Animation Art. She has received over $100,000 in scholarships. 

Allison McLeod, prepares to declare her college choice at the Fine Arts Signing Day // Courtesy of the Ambush Yearbook

Allison McLeod – Savannah College of Art & Design – Allison has been involved in Art all four years at Braswell taking both 2D & 3D courses. As a Senior, she helped me establish Braswell’s first chapter of the National Art Honor Society by serving as our first President. Academically she has excelled all four years at Braswell, as demonstrated to her commitment to NHS. Not only did she excel academically, but she also excelled in Art & Theatre. In Art, Allison competed in the UIL VASE event all four years with 6 different artworks. Three out of the four years she advanced to the State Event with 4 artworks – in both 2D & 3D! Allison has also excelled in Theatre! She competed and won awards in several UIL Events for Theatre such as Tech, creating Specialty Props, designing Sets, Prop design and UIL Costume Design! She will be attending Savannah College of Art and Design in the Fall to major in BFA in Painting and Illustration. She has earned over $100,000 in academic and achievement scholarships for college.

Bryson Morgan, prepares to declare his college choice at the Fine Arts Signing Day // Courtesy of the Ambush Yearbook

Bryson Morgan – Savannah College of Art & Design – Bryson has been involved in Art all 4 years at Braswell focusing on Drawing. If you need a portrait drawn, Bryson is the go-to! I will miss your dry sense of humor. Every year Bryson earned a rating of 4 during VASE at the Regional Level. Bryson also excelled at Band – he is an AWESOME drummer! Bryson excels academically as well, and is in NHS. In the fall he will be attending SCAD to major in BFA in Film and Television. He has earned over $48,000 in scholarships. 

Ashlynn Smith, prepares to declare her college choice at the Fine Arts Signing Day // Courtesy of the Ambush Yearbook

Ashlynn Smith – Texas A&M University – Ashlynn has been involved in Art all four years at Braswell taking both 2D & 3D courses. As a Senior, she also helped me establish Braswell’s first chapter of the National Art Honor Society by serving as our first Vice President. Not only did she excel academically as a member of NHS, but she also excelled in Art . In Art, Allison competed in the UIL VASE event for 3 years with 5 different artworks. All three years she advanced to the State Event with 4 artworks – in both 2D & 3D! She will be attending Texas A& M in the Fall to major in BFA in Animation.

Dance

At the time of this publication, Ellie Finch, 12, and Nadia Jones, 12, are both currently in the audition-process for their school’s drill, pom, and dance teams later in April.