400 Years Later

Black Lives Still Matter

Myrical Roberts, Section Editor

This summer, the world finally woke up about the issues in the black community. With the shooting of Ahmad Aurbrey and George Floyd, the U. S. finally saw Black Lives Matter. Black people in the U. S. were enslaved a little over 400 years ago, yet there are still lasting effects on our country. 

Senior D’leah Johnson led one of the first Black Lives Matter protests over the summer and continues to believe in the fight for change and equality.

“I knew just sitting around waiting for it to change wouldn’t work,” Johnson said. 

For years, Black people in the U.S. have been targeted everyday. From slavery to Civil Rights, they have had to fight for their lives. It’s time for change, but it won’t come easy.

“My mom taught us, make sure you’re okay, make sure you know your rights,” Johnson said. 

As Black people, we have been called derogatory names, we get shoved, we even get killed. Black people are told everyday to fit in a society that doesn’t want us, and because of this, Black children are also taught to watch their backs at all times. 

“My mom told us from a young age about Black Lives Matter,” Johnson said.

In addition, school is supposed to be a place where some can focus on anything but the struggles outside of school. However, it’s not like that for Black students. Not only are we as black students trying to find our place in a world that was built to keep us down, we’re also trying to fit in at schools that were designed to keep us away. 

“In middle school, there was a situation with a boy,” Johnson said, “His mom wanted me to write an apology letter for something that was never to the extent that serious. All of my other white friends didn’t have to do that, but everyone told me that I have to.”

As well, one rule in our school handbook states students are not allowed to wear any head wraps on their head if not for religious reasons. However, colorful wraps give a meaning of worthiness and confidence to Black students and by stating they can not be worn, strips away the culture of the black students attending schools in the district.

“I never understood why we got dress coded for that,” Johnson said. “Everyone would say it’s a hat, no it’s not, it’s culture” she said. 

Overall, we as a society need to talk more about Black history in order to help others  understand one another’s culture before we can really call ourselves a family.  

America is a melting pot of cultures with this country built on freedom for all. Yet, there is still no freedom for Black citizens. Therefore, Black lives matter tomorrow, today, and forever. Change will come.