Braswell’s ‘Art’ of the Soul

A simple kit for the love of thee, who has the patience, dedication, an open mind, and creativity.

Graci E. Mabie, A&E Critic

“Come to the ‘Art’ side,” fine arts teacher Angelia Ford once said to empower artistic growth for every student each day of teaching.

Throughout the four years, the school has been open to students that are inspired by what they sketch, paint and color. 

Ford teaches this beauty alongside Lauren Melton and Kiba Jacobson, two other fine arts teachers who have a passion for educating students through art. 

“I feel like life without art would be so blah,” Jacobson said. “Art is a way for us to connect with others and share a part of ourselves.” 

Jacobson has used art as a vehicle to express herself and get to know herself better, much like senior Meleya Dunn. Dunn has used her eye of success in art to find her place in the world, with art being the tool that has inspired her to realize she is her own canvas and can be as creative as she desires.

“Art provides my reason to express my emotions and mold them into physical form,” Dunn said. “We the people as a whole are art through our actions seen or unseen.”

Melton, who has worked on streamlining processes, grading, and concepts throughout her years of being a teacher, evaluates art with the given specific objectives for the basis of her grading process.

“I have worked with the other art teachers to create an art culture that lifts kids and encourages them to seek out their personal style and fit,” Melton said. 

These processes have become very important to her as each student is graded individually based on creativity, composition, and merit, with the school’s art program continuing to bring everyone together for an experience created in color.

“Art is everywhere,” Ford said. “It surrounds us, but most importantly, it is our collective world history. It documents our experience as humans and it has happened since the dawn of time.”