The Wizard of Oz

Braswell Bravo Company Presents The Wizard of Oz!

Mary Miller, Editor

Being the school’s third musical, following High School Musical and Seussical, the company and school alike are buzzing with excitement. 

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, originally written by L. Frank Baum and published in 1900, has gone on to be adapted hundreds of times. The most famous adaptation is the 1939 film starring Judy Garland as Dorothy. 

What many don’t know is that the famous children’s book has also been adapted into a musical with many more musical numbers than the movie.

While the fab four (Dorothy, the scarecrow, the tinman, and the cowardly lion) all keep their classic “If I only had a brain/heart/nerve” songs, the wicked witch, among others, have songs not found in the film. 

One thing that will reflect the movie is the lighting, sets and costumes. This year the theatre department will be trying something new with switching from sepia to color just like in the iconic film. There are also doubles of all the costumes for the quick changes at the beginning and end, as well as a rolling set.

“The rolling set is how we’re making changes in the musical,” said set designer Kai Stanley. “We have different set pieces that we can roll on and off and turn around. That means that our set pieces have a lot more detail that has to go into them.”

Coupling with the increase in musical numbers is, of course, the increase in choreography. 

Dance teacher and drill team director Kristina Shelburne is working as the choreographer for the musical. 

“The musical is a mixture of people that might not have danced before, people that are Royals [drill team], or people that have danced for a very long time,” Shelburne said. “I love the energy the theatre kids put off and how they’re absolutely willing to try anything.”

With rehearsals having started in November, a lot of effort and time has been put into this production. 

“The hardest part of the process was definitely memorizing all the lines, blocking, music and choreography,” said senior Sarah Butts who will be playing Dorothy. 

The show will feature children playing the munchkins with the cast, crew and directors all looking forward to audiences being led through a trip down the yellow brick road.

Don’t miss out on seeing The Wizard of Oz Jan. 24, 25, 26 and 28. Tickets are $10 online and $15 at the door.