What to watch in September

September

Maya Dennis, A&E Critic

While the summer season was full of blockbusters and big hits, the fall season tends to start bringing Academy Award contenders to the big screen. And while not every film this month may get a nomination, that doesn’t mean it won’t be enjoyable.

The Predator – Sep. 14

Directed by Shane Black — one of the cast members from the original 1987 film — the new “Predator” looks like more than just your average sequel. It takes elements from the original film and adds to it so it’s more appealing for its 21st-century audiences. And if you’ve seen “Iron Man 3” then you know Black has a knack for creating fun action scenes. While the original took place in the jungles of Guatemala, the new one is right in our backyard. The good ‘ol peach state, Georgia. With the enemy closer than ever — and his dogs with him — the film looks to be a hit with audiences who loved the first and those who are new to the franchise.

White Boy Rick – Sep. 14

“White Boy Rick” is based on a true story and follows the life of Richard Wershe Jr., a street hustler, FBI informant and drug kingpin in the city of Detroit. From the trailer, we can see that Wershe Sr. (Matthew McConaughey) looks to be like a caring father who only wants the best for his son. Unfortunately, like most teenagers, he doesn’t listen to his dad and ends up in deep trouble. That being said the film itself looks like it could be an Oscar contender if it is received well by critics and award voters.  

Assassination Nation – Sep. 21

When the secrets of Salem, Massachusetts residents get leaked online, four high school girls are out for revenge. The film looks to tell a story that could become reality — besides the murder part of course. With so much of everybody’s lives online these days, it makes sense that a hacker would out people. Now that summer’s over, teens need a film that will help them channel their angst for school while also being able to relate to people like them. And what teen doesn’t love going to see a rated R film just for the sake of seeing one?

A Star is Born – Sep. 28

If you haven’t heard of the remake of the classic, “A Star is Born” — a film that dates back to 1932 — then you must be living under a rock. Bradley Cooper stars as Jackson Maine, a famous country singer, alongside Lady Gaga, a struggling artist about to give up on her dream. Jackson starts to fall for Ally, but things soon become complicated with their relationship due to her rise to fame. The film marks Cooper’s directorial debut and what looks to be like Gaga’s Academy Award contending performance. Recently the film was showcased at the Venice Film Festival and some critics couldn’t stop raving about the film.