Top 10 Places to go During Your Spring Break Staycation

Kassie Araque, Feature Writer

1. The Denton Square

This first option is probably the easiest, cheapest, and has the most variety of all the others on this list. The Denton Square has been giving local teens something to do since 1896. You can catch a play at the Campus Theatre, grab a bite at Mellow Mushroom, go thrifting at one of the millions of secondhand shops, find your new favorite album at Mad World Records, or get a new book at Recycled books. No matter what your “thing” is, The Square has it.

2. Dallas Arboretum

The Dallas Arboretum has 66 acres of fabulous fauna and landscaping. It’s perfect to go to with friends, family, or a date. The Arboretum has events and activities all year long and during this break will be the “Dallas Blooms Festival”, which the site states as the ideal place for and spring picnic. At $15 per person, this gaudy garden was voted one of the South’s best botanical garden’s by Southern Living Magazine, making it a great place to take some artsy spring break pics!

3. The Dallas Museum of Art

The Dallas Museum of Art is one of the biggest art museums in America and with free admission and over 24,000 pieces, the Dallas Museum of Art is the perfect place for any art lover. The museum currently has exhibits including the Teen Renaissance, paintings done by 15 teens in the Dallas Area and Women Artists in Europe from the Monarchy to Modernism. If all that pondering over the artists’ message made you hungry, you can cure your munchies at the Pyramid Restaurant, Meso Maya Comida Y Copas, or the Flora Street Cafe.

4. Six Flags Over Texas

This is the perfect hangout for the thrill seekers. Each ticket is $65 and though it is expensive, with exciting rides like the Texas Giant and Batman, it’s totally worth it. On March 12th, the park is hosting ‘North Texas’ Largest Water Balloon Fight’ the event starts at 10am and only the first 1,000 people get to participate. This excursion will require you to drive to Arlington, allowing you a variety of food choices in the way home, if you can resist the cuisine the park offers.

5. Dallas Galleria

This option is perfect for every fashionista. This mega shopping mall has stores like Armani Exchange, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, and many other high dollar brands. Additionally, for anyone missing the colder weather, the Galleria has a year round ice rink, so you can still take those cute wintery instagram pics. With prom just around the corner, this would be a great time to scope out this season’s styles and sales.

6. Texas Tulips

This plant nursery is a 20 minute drive up the road and the go to place for a spring photoshoot. Entry is $5 per person, and each tulip will cost you an additional $2.50. If you are a photographer scouting for a nice background it’s $25 for you and $5 for each client. This is a great way to spend some time outside and support a small local business!

7. Lake Ray Roberts

Another choice for any outdoorsy readers, this lake is a 29,350 acres reservoir and has a variety of past times for all it’s visitors. On land, you can camp, hike, bike, or go backpacking and on the water, you can swim at one of the beach areas (although none have on duty lifeguards, so be cautious), paddle, or fish in either the kid’s fishing pond or the lake. For anyone less adventurous, you can take pictures, nature watch, or just take in the environment around you.

8. Not So Fun WKND Festival

This music festival is great for any music enthusiasts. In the neighborhood of Deep Ellum, Dallas from March 12th to March 17th, with over 50 bands playing this is sure to be a blast for anyone interested in alternative tunes. Groups such as the Gorilla Biscuits, Cold Cave, and Judge will be there to share their music with anyone willing to pay admission (which varies venue to venue) and listen.

9. A Mavericks game

The NBA team has four home games over the course of the break. On the 10th, they play against the Houston Rockets, the San Antonio Spurs on the 12th, the Cleveland Cavaliers on the 16th, and New Orleans Pelicans on the 18th. All games will be at the American Airlines Center, the home of the team.

10. Tour a college

Just because you get to take a break from school doesn’t mean you shouldn’t spend some time thinking about your future! Spring break is a great time to tour nearby colleges like University of North Texas, Texas Woman’s University, and Oklahoma University and  its a great excuse for a state or region wide road trip! Get a head start on your future and look at what college is the best fit for you!

Stay up to date on all of the latest information from Braswell High School! Email reports sent by students for students (and parents).

DON’T MISS A BEAT

(GET IT? 'CAUSE OUR NEWSPAPER IS CALLED "THE BENGAL BEAT")

We don’t spam! Read our [link]privacy policy[/link] for more info.