Water Taste Different in Lewisville

Nhan Nguyen

Needing powdered activated carbon (PAC), the United States Army Corp of Engineers (USACE) will be redirecting water lines of Lewisville citizens from September 15 to October 9. 

The USACE is saying that the relocation project is temporary and will end soon. Since the project water plants will be unable to use their PAC, the water of Lewisville has begun to taste strange. 

“The potential taste and odor issues are aesthetic only and pose no health hazards,” the city manager stated in an email to all of its residents.

However, some citizens worry that the water they’ve been drinking for years will be unsafe because the water plant has decided not to use PAC in order to remove taste and odor compounds and provide clean water that is safe to drink.

“I’ve received the email and read it a thousand times,” Lewisville resident Giana Wilson said. “After doing some research I can’t help but feel uneasy every time I drink water or even wash the dishes.” 

However, some residents don’t feel like it’s a big deal at all. Lewisville High School student Parker Bridge said that he has noticed the new change, and prefers it. 

“I think it’s neat,” Bridge said. “The new water tastes fresher and seems more natural than the old water.”

In addition, other residents do not want the USACE to be meddling with anything. Katie Garcia, another Lewisville High School student said that the change is fine, but she’s worried that this might just be the first step and the next will be even more drastic.

“I don’t want them to be doing anything more that’s for sure,” Garcia said. “Some people might be fine with it and good for them, but I just think that we should be setting boundaries for these sorts of things.”

The USACE project is at a stage where the new water mains will be connected to existing lines. Some residents are even very eager to see what this project might have in store. 

“This is what this country needs right now,” Wilson’s husband Bob Wilson said. “I feel like the world has been turned upside down and this project might bring some good news for people. 

The USACE is working closely with the local government to help citizens be heard. If anyone is having concerns or simply wants to ask a question about this project, they can call the Lewisville Public Services Department at 972-219-3510. Alternatively, they can directly visit the USACE website at https://www.usace.army.mil/

“The Corp has always been good,” Bridge said. “I heard they help plant trees, assist people stand up again after [hurricane] Laura, and was even voted the best place to work. Some might be complacent or be outraged, but I think what we all need right now is a little patience.”